We have these loaves of baguettes that have been in their original non-air tight bag for two days. Each time I go to the store I forget gallon freezer bags, so the bread has stayed in that bag...getting harder with each breath I take. Tonight I decided to use one more loaf before the bags are bought and into the freezer they go.
The crust is hard, but not terrible...just harder than normal. I mean, the crust is always hard anyway, but they're still good. I continue to slice the bread. Slice, slice. I get to the heel of the loaf, which seems like it has crusted through all layers. The bread slips and I slice my finger instead.
No, I didn't cry. No, I didn't curse. I just washed it off until Brian luckily walked through the door from work. My saving grace. Thank you for coming home right then. He helped me gather the first aid kit, cut my gauze and I wrapped it all up. I decided that I would wait to get stitches and I'll tell you why.
I had to accompany a violinist in our ward RS meeting tonight and I told her last minute that I would play a piano solo since they needed another musical number. Of course this was before I decided to cut my finger open....last minute. I cut my finger 10 minutes before it started and after all....it was sort of on the way to the hospital, right? (Not really since I had to go back home anyway. I just don't like not showing up last minute.) So, I went and played through my piano solo and made it through accompanying Away in a Manger. It wasn't awesome I'll admit, but considering a finger taped in a mound of gauze, being light-headed, and trying not to focus on the pain, I'd say it went pretty well. Then I was outta there.
Tangent: I have a student that misses lessons constantly due to minor finger sprains from basketball. If I can play under stitches conditions...yeah.
It was off to the InstaCare I went. I checked in and the nurse came to assess if I really needed stitches. It was the first time I really got a good look at it and it was just a bloody mess. Admitted. Nurse left, but I proceeded to hear several people make comments on "this blonde" and his "daughter definitely being blonde".... in that tone....you know. I felt like an idiot telling them I sliced myself cutting a baguette since I, too, am blonde.
I was taken back. Nurse Todd and I had a good chat as he was fixin' me up. After the painful numbing shots, I was good as gold, but boy was that painful. It was like my finger was having a baby....then the epidural kicked in. I even expressed my gratitude to Nurse Todd for local anesthesia. Doctor Devin came in and stitched me up with six delightful stitches holding my finger pieces back together. I was assured by Nurse Todd that Dr. Devin has the best sutures and I am indeed grateful. "See you in 10 days"- Christmas Eve. Lovely.
I have a picture....I might post it...it's kinda gross.
That's my story.
6 comments:
Oh, wow! Look at you, still going to play the piano and all! haha.... a story worth telling for years, i'm sure!!
Post the pictures. It will be cool. Also, I'm glad you didn't pull a Mom and run your hand through the table saw.
Wow you are amazing! I'm sure I wouldn't have gone and played. My new goal is to be more like you! :)
You should post the pictures for sure :)
Oh stacy, that's horrible! I'm sorry! I can't believe you still played! You are amazing!!!
Yikes Stacy! Josh did that few years ago so I'm way impressed your still followed through and played the piano!!! You're amazing!
Jess
OH. MY. Goodness! You are crazy!!! I would have ditched the performance...well maybe not :) Great admiration for you my dear.
Post a Comment