Picture

Picture

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

We Be Po' Folk!

Bills= My Life's Frustrations

None of us like bills, right? Correct! Well, last night I was checking to see how many minutes we have left on our phone (in an effort to be conservative) and I was shocked by our HUGE phone bill! I called our provider and shared my frustrations. He was a very nice man and took some charges off that weren't supposed to be there, but it didn't make our bill small exactly because I had gone over on our minutes last month from one pretty long phone call to a friend. URGGGG! I was SOOOO mad that I even told myself that I would no longer be talking to my friends (relax guys...just an angry moment). Then the rampage began. I was mad. I was mad at bills, mad at our phones, mad at paying WAY too much for utilities because our blasted apartment can't keep heat in. So what did I do? I turned the water heater down because we did this last year and it saved us tons of money. It's a hassle to turn it down in the day and wake up early to turn it up for showering, then I called Brian and told him that I want to get rid of everything we are paying for.

This is what happened today. One, I forgot to turn up the water heater until Brian said, "Hey, I think the pilot light is out because my shower was cold." Haha. I just laughed, but felt bad and turned it back up to normal. Second, we have cancelled texting. Yes, that's right. We have also blocked all texts from being received, so if you do text me, I will not get it. Since we do not have a lot of money to spare....correction....any money to spare, we are really trying to save wherever possible. We also went down to the smallest amount of minutes you can have, so basically you will have to call after 9 pm to talk. Don't worry, there is always skyping for FREE! :) Sorry everyone that loves to text. Thus is the life of being poor. It's worth it though because I love staying home with Claire!

5 comments:

The Nicholsons said...

We are trying to cut down in every way too. Have you ever heard of Virgin Mobile? We switched to them after our contract was up with T-mobile. They don't have family plans, so Tyler and I each have our own plan. It is $25 bucks a month for 300 minutes and unlimited texting and web. We have had it since June and its not THE BEST out there, but for the most part we like it. It cost like $53 for both of us.

Janaca said...

It's hard to cut back on things but it's worth it to be home with the kiddos! We had a HUGE phone bill after I had Jordan because I would talk to my mom and sister all the time. I'd never had a problem with minutes until then, but I've always checked them since. :) We currently don't have tv...stinks but we don't really need it. And we keep our house at 68 and we wear jackets and socks!

Marie said...

We put white duct tape around the back door that we never use to keep the cold air outside. It was really drafty and cut our power bill in half. We also went down to weaker internet. It's lame, but it works.

My roommates and I made insulated curtains to help keep cold air out from the windows too. You can get the insulated fabric for a reasonable price and just hand stitch it to the back of your curtains.

For summer, we got an awesome circulating fan so we hardly ever have to turn on the A/C.

Good luck! I'd like to hear any other $$ saving tricks you come up with.

Nicole said...

yup- bills ARE the worst! I swear, every company sits down and says, "how can we SQUEEZE the most out of these suckers????" drives me nuts. Good luck!

Kateka said...

Ah welcome to my life. :)