It's been a mere 6 months since I have last said anything at all on here. Let's do a little recap.
For a while there, I was thinking that the small and annoying things in life were out to get me. In the span of a couple months we had what seemed like a million things go wrong. Most of them, in hindsight, were really no big deal, but the frequency of them happening were adding so much weight that each thing felt heavier. I just kept hoping that enduring through all of it would hopefully have a light at the end of the tunnel and sure enough, it did. Sometimes our trials sure make the good things that much better.
So, in October Brian got a job offer to a company in Michigan. He had interviewed at this small company and a company in South Carolina. We thought for sure the SC one was going to be it, but I felt so good about this whole Michigan business. It may or may not have been heavily influenced by the fact that Michigan does not contain one single fire ant in it's glorious borders...and South Carolina would have them plus the same annoying weather that Texas has. So...we flew out here while it poured inside and outside of our house in Texas and dreamed of months passing to finally move out of a flooding and overly molding house.
To be honest, our trip for 2 to Michigan was not the second honeymoon kind of trip we were hoping it to be...it was my fault. Brian is so laid back about everything and I stress and stress over living situations until the cows come home. Rent in Ann Arbor is astronomical and we did NOT want to buy a house because we had no money to buy a house. By the time we left Michigan....we put an offer in on a house. Good gracious. We had been here for a whole 4 days. To make a long story short, we bought a house and we are finally here! Hooray! Brian had his first day of work today and it just feels so right. Right feels so good. I think he'll really like it there and I think I'll eventually start to feel a little less claustrophobic amidst these trees and love Michigan. I love our house (Now that it's finally cleaned from head to toe from the previous owners and their disgustingness....another blog for another day). I love our neighborhood. I love that our house doesn't leak when it rains or flood for that matter. I love that we can't even hear the heater go on because in Texas it sounded like a short range missile was about to blow us to bits. I also love that 73 degrees actually feels warm because our house doesn't leak air. I love that we have carpet! CARPET! It's soft and wonderful. It's insulating. It's fun to vacuum. We can fall on it and not end up in the ER. I'm in heaven. I love that January actually feels like January. If you couldn't tell, I was not a huge fan of the weather in Texas...and that was kind of a huge thing for me. Sure, it was nice to have the occasional warm park day in the middle of winter, but for the most part, it's either too hot or too cold to go outside, so you're stuck inside for the remainder of your life. That's how it was for me anyway.
Now....Let's get to the point. Before you get the impression that I hated Texas, I actually did not. I hated the weather....
and the bugs. That's all. It was a blast to live in Dallas and do all the fun things that a big city has to offer. I will definitely miss it.
1. Heritage Park in Flower Mound
This is the world's most amazing, kid and mom friendly park. I call it the mom lazy park. There is one way in and out. I just parked my fanny at the entrance and didn't have to worry that my kids were drowning in the stupidly placed park pond each Texas park seems to have. This park is heaven on earth and I would move back just for the park.
2. La Paisanita
I swore I would never eat at this ghetto piece of junk....but it happened. World's best tacos people! If you ever visit Texas, do not believe the people about this so-called amazing Tex-Mex. I have yet to experience good Texan Tex-Mex. I was sorely disappointed every time. These tacos are the real deal.
3. The roads.
There is a freeway everywhere. I love it! Coming from Utah I was not used to so many helpful roads to get around and now I fear I will never be the same. Dallas roads are amazing. So far...Michigan's are funny. They are very....bumpy.

4. The Camping. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA....just kidding. There is no camping season. We desperately missed camping. Brian took Jared camping once and he pooped his pants twice, wet his pants. Ran out of underwear. Had a billion enormous bugs. Couldn't sleep because it was so hot. And....had a really funny story to tell by the end of it.
We tried camping two other times and only one was mildly successful.
4. Indoor Play Areas
The Ark. The Tubes. At least Texans know that the outside is unbearable, so they make the indoor places fun.
5. Our friends.
The friendships we have made in Texas have been pretty incredible. It almost feels like we had been there forever. We loved our ward. We loved our callings. We loved our missionaries. This has been the hardest part of moving, of course. I only wish you could bring the people with you.
6. If Brian were to choose one thing to miss, his first answer would be the Dallas Mavericks. MFFL. I told him we could name our next child Dirk....I think he really got hopeful at that one. Not even a possibility, sorry hon.
Next up will be pictures of our house.....if I can ever get the pictures up on the walls! :)
1 comment:
Can't believe you're in Michigan now!! You guys are quite the adventurers. Hope you love your new home!
Post a Comment