No pictures this time. Sorry. It's good, old fashioned story-time!
This girl is hilarious! She is loving her new life in Michigan and I don't think I've seen her this happy in school....ever. Let's re-cap.
She did like pre-school, but I think she felt really out of place. She was very much the minority because she was the only non-Hispanic kid in her class. Not that we care. I actually really loved that she had so many friends from different places, but there were a lot of times that she would come home in such a bad mood because no one would really play with her. This was partly her doing as well because she cowers when she feels like the odd one out. We've had many talks about this.
Then, Kindergarten went underway. It was either the elementary school down the street from our house that had terrible ratings (which her preschool teacher advised against) or the charter school (which every parent whose kids attends love this school). Let's be real. I really liked the curriculum that was taught there, but good gracious! Let the kids be kids! I loved, loved Claire's teacher and she did have friends in her class, but we started having some really frustrating behavior problems at home early on because she didn't have enough play time. She was so ornery coming home from school (I think partly because lunch was at 10:15), and I couldn't get her to do anything because she was so darn wiggly....but ornery wiggly. She rarely told me what she did at school and when she did it was because I basically begged to know the details of her day. She only ever told me about her one 30 minute recess because "that's my favorite time of day, mom".
So, here we are, in Michigan. The schools in our town are pretty incredible and I'm very excited about that. The first day I walked into the office....was different. First off, hats off to Texans....they're a lot nicer than "Michiganders". Second, this office was loud and crazy - totally opposite of previous school. When she started two days later and we met her teacher/walked through the halls I started to relax a little bit. The environment is so much more relaxed. It seems fun. So, we waited through the day to see how she'd be getting off the bus for the first time.
Other than me being misinformed of the location of the bus stop and Claire being upset I wasn't there, she wouldn't stop talking about how fun school was! "We have TWO RECESSES and one playtime, mom! I love this school a lot more because how much we get to play! And we have toys! We didn't have toys at my old school! I only miss Riley and Ms. Hart." Then she sang and played and was a pleasant, happy 5 year old for the rest of the day. Every day since I pick up a happy, smiling Claire. She comes home with Kindergarten fun crafts and homework and is always excited to tell me something about school.
Love.
Now, for her first crush (or being crushed, rather). I asked her the other day if she thought boys were cute yet. She gave me that, "HUH???" look. On her first day she also said, "Mom! All the girls like me!" I asked, "What about the boys." She said, "Mom....they're booooys," almost with an eye-roll attached. Anyway, there is a boy from church that also rides the same bus home. Apparently he told his mom about the "cute, I mean new" girl at school. When he saw her at church, he had his mom switch places with him so he could sit closer to her. HA! I'm dying from how cute this is! So, I told her to sit by said boy on the bus and try to be friends with him. She didn't really know who I was talking about, so we've been waiting until Sunday to find out what this kid looks like. Today, she came home and we had the following conversation:
C: "I sat by Elliott today mom! I like him!"
M: "Oh, you met him! Yay! What did you talk about?"
C: "Oh nothing."
M: "Nothing?"
C: "Well, I sat by him yesterday on the bus and he didn't really say anything. He was being shy. But today he wasn't being so shy."
M: "Oh good! So, he talked to you?"
C: "Well, we talked about stuff, mostly I talked a lot and just kept talking. and he mostly did this....." as she raises her shoulders, ducks her head, and sheepishly smiles.
And then she giggles like it's the funniest thing in the world.
5 year old relationships have gotten the highest cuteness marks in my book.
No comments:
Post a Comment