Picture

Picture

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Formula?

Brian thinks I'm ridiculous. I think I'm ridiculous. I just can't help but feel sad about trying to put Claire on formula. Incredibly sad. Aside from formula smelling like the depths of you-know-where, I have no problem with it. I'm sad though. Sad that Claire and mommy feeding time would be over. Sad that she's getting bigger. I also feel so guilty for doing it. Less and less as time goes on, but the guilt is still there. There is no main reason why I would want to quit, really. She doesn't bite me all that often, but even when she does I feel guilty for not pushing through and nursing. She bit me really bad last night, so I gave her formula relieved that my body wouldn't be tortured anymore. However, by the last ounce of her bottle, I felt sad. I just think that it would be nice to not be nursing during the summer, and to have my body back just for a little bit before we decide to have another little one around here. Oh....and it's expensive. That's it. Did anyone else go through ridiculous emotions with formula feeding? I wish I didn't care at all. My mom is so much more level headed than I am and didn't feel bad at all with formula after only 6 months of nursing. She's more stable than me, what can I say. I wish I was more like my mom.

5 comments:

Jacque said...

I was only able to nurse Charlotte for about 2 weeks. She then was in the hospital a lot. I was being told by so many people why formula was awful, why only breastfeeding was the way to go. I was told Charlotte and I wouldn't bond like other moms and babies. I was told she wouldn't be as smart or as healthy. Well, let me tell you what! All that isn't true. I truly tortured myself every time I made a bottle. I felt like people were judging me. But, Charlotte is actually advanced for her age. She loves me more than anything. Keep in mind, too , that when you stop nursing or start to ween that your hormone levels change and start to drop as well which DOES cause a little bit of baby blues. It's absolutely normal. Some day she would have to stop anyway. She still loves you! You are still her mommy! She is still happy!! And what is really fun is when she is screaming in the grocery check out line and all ya gotta do it whip out a bottle! :)
There are always pros and cons to each stage in a baby's growth and development. This is one of the many steps in being a mom where you teach them and then learn to let them go. Baby steps though, of course. :)
Do keep in mind the hormone drop. It happened with my sis-in-law, too. You're such a good mommy!

Lindsey said...

Stacy, you ARE such a good mommy, that you would even worry about feeling guilty about formula :) You've breastfed her for 10 months now, shes happy and healthy and chubby and wonderful- you've done an amazing job! So give yourself a pat on the back and a little break- you've earned it. She's going to start only wanting solids soon anyways probably. So enjoy a nursing bra-free summer!

xo
Lindsey

Erin Dougal said...

Um. I had the EXACT same feelings. I personally would have nursed longer, (we nursed until a year) but Penny wouldn't have any of it. I exhausted all other options before putting her on formula. I really don't like it, even now that she is on it. So, in my case, I still feel guilty, I still hate it, but I know that my little girl needs it so that is why I am giving it to her. My opinion would be to (prayerfully) do what is best for you and Claire. Whatever decision that is, you will feel better about it knowing that the Lord will comfort you either way.

Bobbi Hinton said...

You do what you have to do, Stacy. I understand the guilt. But be grateful that you were even able to nurse her at all. I wanted to breastfeed SO badly and felt extremely guilty when it didn't work out like I thought it would. So to me, doing it for 10 months is awesome! Whatever you decide, you are an amazing mother!

Kateka said...

Hmmmm.... good question. If anything, I am just sad she is growing so fast that you are even getting to this point. Stop growing so fast, Little Claire!