Oh. My. Gosh. Can I just tell ya, I love having a garden!!! I've been so excited all week to get it planted and going. I HATED gardening when I was a kid because it basically meant that mom made us go weed, which took forever because Trevor and I just looked for worms instead. Then, I didn't like/appreciate anything she grew with the exception of corn. I've never been a big vegetable eater, but I am trying to get better at it. I'd have to say that I have had some progress within the last 5 years. Everything I planted is usually used on a weekly, if not daily, basis. No, I didn't plant squash. First of all, it's the worst. I think that God said that there would have to be a vile vegetable, so he made squash to punish us. Trust me. I've had it. My mom made me eat it. It was a punishment. Second, I think that it may consume the planet someday. I mean, who do you know that a) has squash in their garden and b) isn't trying to get rid of most of it? No one. That's because it produces so much awfulness that people feel like they have to pass it on to other poor souls.
Anyway, I was like a giddy girl last night; however, we wouldn't have a garden unless it were for some wonderful people. Some of our lovely ward members are moving to Germany, which is very sad, but they are getting rid of everything. They gave us ALL of their pots yesterday, which easily counts up to 15+. Ever bought pots? They're kinda pricey for something that you fill with dirt. Anyway, they saved us soooo much money, so we actually get to have more than tomatoes this year. Thank you so much to the Watsons!!!!! We are so incredibly grateful! I stayed up 'til 1:30 planting and watering and jumping up and down (literally) getting my garden ready. Brian said it was cute. I'm pretty sure he thinks it's nerdy.
Without further adieu:
It may be small to those of you with a real garden, but we are in an apartment and this is pretty darn awesome for us! Hmmmm....8 broccoli plants. We may have broccoli growing out of our ears this summer! I'll just keep praying that it works this year! We haven't been so lucky in the past.
5 comments:
Yay yay yay!!!! I jumped up and.down for you, I'm so excited for you! It's a darling garden, and huge! Keep posting pics as it grows, I want to see how awesome it does :) good job stace!
P.s. I so agree with you about the squash. It's my moms favorite vegetable so she made it All. The. Time. I quickly learned how to plug my nose and swallow fast to get it down. I will never grow it or cook it, its so vile!
Haha Jonny is the same about squash so we never have it. I don't remember how I feel about it because it's been so long:) By the way if you want more pots, we have like 50+ at our house that are like the 2 gallon size if you want some. They are left over from a bunch of stuff my MIL had transplanted into the yard a few weeks ago.
You are so funny!
I love reading your blog! It makes me laugh everytime. :)
Good luck with the garden! I think with all your hard work (and 1:30 am nights, sheesh!) it will absolutely play off.
Post a Comment