So, here's the story. I REALLY thought Kendra was going to come early. I was due May 1st, and I have had my bags, house, children, backup plans, etc. all ready since the beginning of April. I should have known. It was slightly exhausting and made the weeks very long thinking, "It could be tomorrow!" Seriously, this is my fourth child....you'd think I'd be wiser than thinking an early labor was in store. Get real, Stace.
My mom flew in to Detroit on May 4th. That morning while I was making bread, I was SOOO tired and started having some lower back pain. I was a little uneasy since I didn't particularly want to have a baby in the car while driving to the airport, so I just prayed that she wouldn't come until after my mom got here. While driving to the airport that afternoon at 2...in the crazy pouring rain...my contractions started, but not consistent. It was still that nonstop lower back pain that had me worried. Luckily, we got my mom and even had time to go to Costco for an ice cream before picking Brian up from work and the real pains started setting in. By the time we were making dinner, my contractions were 10 minutes apart and getting more painful. I was still a little hesitant to get my hopes up and still planning on my induction date on May 6th. After dinner, I sat down for a little relief and all contractions/pain stopped. We decided to get a few laughs in and watch the New Girl until I wanted to pass out. Went to bed at 11
I woke up with a contraction at 2:14 and boy did it hurt. I don't know why I insist on drinking a trough before bed because I really didn't want to get out of bed, but I really had to go. I got up to go to the bathroom and my next contraction was 15 minutes later, but it HURT! I started getting my things ready to go. Once I have that kind of pain I know that the real thing isn't far behind. My next contraction was 7 minutes after that, then 4 minutes apart. Brian woke up in a flurry at that time and we got everything ready to go shortly after that. (So glad my mom was here!!!) By the time we left our house at 2:45 my contractions were 2 minutes apart and I could barely get out the door.
Now, our drive to the hospital was luckily fast, but I have got to talk to whoever is in charge of the roads in Michigan! I would like for them to go into labor and hit pothole after pothole and see how they feel. Oh my gosh! Could these roads be any more terrible? We got to the hospital valet at 3:13 and here is how the rest went....
3:20- Checked into a triage room. Only dilated to a 4.
Lucky we got a room. They just sent a patient out for a walk to start contractions....only reason I got a room. Contractions are really painful and start to pick up. Feeling more pressure with each one. Still coming on every 1-2 minutes.
*Brian warned our nurses that I usually go from a 4 to a 10 pretty quickly. They smiled and nodded and went on their way.
3:35 - Feeling like I had been there for an eternity and begging inside for an epidural. My contractions feel as if they're forcing my stomach to push by itself.
3:40 - My contractions push everything down and my body starts pushing on it's own. I told Brian that I was trying to relax, but there was nothing I could do. It felt like someone was squeezing me without me having any control. He called the nurses and said, "We can't hear the heartbeat anymore, can you please come check?" The nurses come in to do a check and say, "We're gonna have a baby right now." By that time triage comes to life. Nurses and midwives bounce in faster than in any delivery room I've ever seen. They really get to work! So, I just start pushing...and screaming...like any weirdo labor show you've seen. It's almost embarrassing to me that I was screaming like I was. Oh....the joys. Anyway, fear and pain aside, it was very fast...and I'm very grateful.
3:44 - Happy Birthday, Kendra!
She came down the birth canal so fast that she had terrible coloring and she looked pretty beaten up. I guess that's pretty normal for such a fast delivery. Poor girl. She had red splotches all over her face, and I had them all over my face, neck and shoulders from pushing so hard.
The hospital was so busy that we didn't get a room for another 12 hours after that. We went to their Pack-U unit of the hospital - a large room with curtain dividers. It wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have to share a bathroom with 5 other women. They also don't really give heavy painkillers and refused to give me anything stronger than Tylenol and Motrin until I was screaming and crying because my cramping was so bad. Most people here stop having kids at 2, so maybe they don't know that your pains get worse with each one? Anyway, I had to fight for narcotics every 4 hours. They were pretty stubborn about it. Luckily at the nurse shift change, I got a lovely nurse who understood perfectly and she was my favorite person in the world.
Friday Brian, Kendra, and I spent snuggling in the hospital bed waiting to get discharged. It was relaxing and quiet and wonderful. She's a dreamboat who really loves to be held. She is totally opposite of how Hailey was and she seems so easy compared to the last time. So glad she isn't colicky. Makes a world of difference. I can't get enough of her sweet face and her happy little personality. The kids love her more than I imagined they would. Claire loves to hold and kiss her, but only for a second because "I get to wiggly, mom!" Jared is the most doting big brother I've ever seen him be. Hailey can't get over the fact that all she does is eat, sleep and poop. Our conversation usually goes like this.
H: "Mom! Baby wake?"
Me: Yup, but she's Hungry/poopy/sleepy.
H: AGAIN????????????
We love her more than anything!
And I'm so happy to not be pregnant. :)
The kids were so excited to meet their new little sister! Jared even asked if she could talk yet. :)
Family of 6!
So glad Grandma was here for us to hurry to the hospital or else we wouldn't have made it in time.
BATH TIME! Of course she screamed through the whole thing. Naturally.
The kids were very excited to watch her first bath.
Claire, front and center.
Our snuggly day on Friday. We sat and snuggled for hours and hours.
I thought Brian was getting a picture of her going home outfit....I guess he missed the purpose of the picture...
5 comments:
WOW! Good job Stacey! It's so much work getting these kids here, but I guess they're kind of worth it huh? I can't believe she came so fast! I'm sorry the nurses weren't listening/couldn't find a room. That is the most frustrating thing. And you're thinking,"Ummm...I KNOW my body! Help me out here!" Congrats on being a family of SIX now!
Oh Stacy, great story and adorable pictures! I'm so glad your mom was there to help out. I love hearing about the kids' reactions to Kendra. Beautiful little baby and beautiful BIG Anderson family!
Oh Stacy, great story and adorable pictures! I'm so glad your mom was there to help out. I love hearing about the kids' reactions to Kendra. Beautiful little baby and beautiful BIG Anderson family!
sooo snuggly! holy cow girl, that was SO FAST! I cringed for you, reading that. When you break it down by the minute, it sounds awful haha. Hope you're feeling good now!
That sounds an awful lot like Adah's birth. Hardly being able to get out the door, bumps all the way there, embarrassingly loud screaming, extremely fast labor, purple baby after coming so fast, horrible cramping when nurses push your stomach and during nursing.... I was really glad it went so fast so I could experience at least one drug free birth. I'm so glad she is here and healthy and so loved.
Post a Comment