Picture

Picture

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

What a day . . .

Well, Id just like to start with the gratitude that we have for the people who have offered to help with dinners and everything else. Of those that don't know, our sweet daughter Claire is in the hospital and we are trying to figure out how to fight off whatever she has. Even though my wife will write a full account I summarize the past 48 hours. 2 days ago Claire was acting normal but had a fever (101.9) but we didn't like the accuracy of our thermometer so I went and got a legit ear thermometer (not the cheap ones only for children). Her temp read 103.5. I watched her and we gave her some tylenol but then I took the temp again at 1:30 am yesterday and she had a temp of 104.5. I then took her into the ER. By the time we got there her temp was back down to 102. They said it was viral and just put her on ibuprofen also. At 12:30 that morning she had a seizure and had a temp of 106. We took the ambulance to the ER, they kept her there did a handful of tests and topped off her medicine then gave a good antibiotic because they thought it wasn't viral but an ear infection. After about 5 hours her temp was back to 98 and she was seeming fine. We then took her home and she took a nap. At about 8:00 we took her temp and it was 105.5. This of course concerned us but the ER doctors said their was nothing we or they could do and if she had another seizure we could just stay at home and weather it out. This of course concerned us and we took her into after-hours. The pediatrician kind of told us the same thing that we just needed to watch her and let it run its course. The funny thing is that after this checkup we complained to each other that that was a waste of time and money. We then went home and were able to get the temp down to 101 again. Stac's mom then told us to both get some sleep and we three would take sleeping shifts. But just after couple hours we woke up to her having a second seizure. We called 911 and they came and checked her, this time she was much more responsive and they said it was up to us to go in or stay (temp was 106). So we stayed and called up the after hours place and the doc told us once again to stay home and watch her (her temp had started to drop to about 103, after seizure it was time to give her more tylenol). Just a half and hour later he called us back up and told us that it didn't feel right and that we should go in. So we went back to the ER and put her immediately on an iv which made all the difference. Claire was very dehydrated so once she got the iv in her she was ale to sweat and cool off a lot better. After a few more tests in the ER, the doctor wanted to release us but the after hours doctor had them admit us . . . we love him, see it was a waste of time and money to go see him. Now we are just monitoring her and trying to pinpoint what is wrong. She has now had two fever peaks throughout the day but the highest they got were to 104. The bad thing is that both happened while she had full effect of the medicine when they occurred. The great thing is that she has had an iv and we have been able to put damp towels on her to keep the peaks from getting too high. Well i think thats a good update for now. Sorry about the grammar and spelling mistakes if there are any.

11 comments:

Janaca said...

Oh my goodness!!!!! I feel terrible that your family is going through this. Poor little Claire!! That sounds absolutely terrifying. So hard as parents to watch your kids struggle especially not knowing what it is or how to help. I will pray for your sweet littl girl and I hope she gets well soon!

The Nicholsons said...

Oh I am so sorry! That just sounds miserable. IF there is ANYTHING I can do for your family, please let me know! We will keep your family in our prayer! Hope she gets well soon. :(

Lindsey said...

Oh my goodness, what a long few days for you all!! I'm so sorry, we are praying for Claire around the clock, hopefully the doctors can find something to get her well quick! I love her and all of you so much!

Lindsey said...

How's she doing this morning??? Hopefully much better! xoxo

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Digital Scrapbooking Made Easy said...

Wow, I'm so sorry! We're praying for you guys!

Kateka said...

I am so sorry you are going through this. Like everyone else, please let me know if I can do anything. I really mean that. People said that when I broke my foot and for some reason I didn't believe that they really meant what they were offering it, but I really, really, really mean it. I will drive out there, we can do 4 person sleeping shifts! I'll watch the baby, clean the house, whatever you need. Praying for you!

Kristie McConnon said...

Oh my goodness. You guys are all in our prayers. Especially little Clarie. We'd be happy to help with anything you need! Really. We are right here.

Makenna said...

We're praying here too! hang in there! it must be a parent's nightmare to live through this. :( hang in there!!!

Natalie said...

So sorry to hear! I'll keep little Claire (and family) in my prayers. Hope they can figure out what's wrong soon.

Nicole said...

Yikes!!!! That's scary. Sure hope she's feeling better now! So sorry this has happened..... that's terrifying!