Picture

Picture

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Scared

Have you even been scared to do something because of the overwhelming fear of failure? So, I'm considering opening up an etsy shop for little things that I've been making. I think they're cute, but what if other people think they're chincy or not worth buying? What if I'm a big fat failure at attempting to sell something online. I'm scared and I feel like an idiot for being scared.

Since I've been at home, I've been thinking of things I can do to help with finances. Of course I'm teaching piano lessons and I do like it, but I have this little creative bug inside of me that is screaming to get out. It's not even really about the money right now, it's more because I like making things and I think they're cute enough that I would buy it if someone else was selling it. Is that ridiculous? No? Maybe? I don't know. I've been making headbands, skirts, crocheting baby shoes, making baby headbands and flowers and I think they're cute. Should I even attempt or should I just let the opportunity pass me by. I know that if I don't do it, then of course I'll never succeed at it and/or I'll never know the outcome if I tried, but it's I'm a little overwhelmed with putting myself out there. (Wow....I think these feelings reflect what I felt when I was in the dating scene. Overwhelming, confusion, panic, scared.... maybe I'm afraid of dating an etsy shop.)

Anyway.... what do you think?

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

You know what I think :) Love you!

"Woman was born to create...in creating she becomes herself, accomplishes her destiny. Her whole life is only an initiation into creative power. To create is not merely to produce a work...it is to give out ones own individuality."-Jeanne De Vietinghoff

Marie said...

I thought about doing an etsy shop too, but then work became too busy for me to even think about it. I think you should go for it! The hardest part is getting the word out there, but I love seeing what people come up with.

Erin Dougal said...

I have also contemplated an etsy shop. I think it would be nice, but then what if it became huge (not likely, but what if....)? I don't think I would like to be constantly making orders etc. My cousin has been working for 3 years to start hers up just so that she can have tons of inventory before people start ordering. That way she won't be going crazy! I also take into consideration how many other shops out there sell exactly the same thing. Still trying to work on original ideas, and then create an inventory and then maybe I'll give it a go. Food for thought, but I also think that you could do great if you just put yourself out there!

Ian and Makenna James said...

Shakespeare said:
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt."
I keep that on my mirror and can wisely say it to others, but still have a hard time applying it to myself :) I have a friend who does special orders on etsy, and she's been able to do it, I say GO FOR IT!
(unless there is money involved in signing up/maintaining?) I have no idea.

Kateka said...

DO IT!!! :) You are very talented and you should share your talents with the rest of us.