Picture

Picture

Monday, July 13, 2009

Camping with "Bears"

Brian and I are now the proud owners of a new 2 person REI backpacking tent. It's very small for two people (according to me), but it's only 5 lbs. and we love that it's so light. We haven't gotten much use out of it yet, which is really sad to me. We've only set it up in our living room while I watched Brian sit in it to play video games. Yeah. So, we wanted to get out of the house and actually use it this summer, even if it was a very short one day camping trip. So we planned to go last weekend on Friday night up Squaw Peak. Now, for a little preface:

Do any of you watch the news? Well, I watch it religiously everyday. There's the morning news, the noons at noon, news at 4, the nightly new with Brian Williams, and the 6 o'clock news that I watch. I don't know why, but I LOVE knowing about all the horrible things that are happening in the world. I guess it makes me feel more involved and informed. Well, last week was bear week. It seemed like there were bears popping out all over the place around Utah. Some went away, but most of them just got shot and died. Scary! Well, I guess the news can make you a bit paranoid...

Anway, we couldn't get up to the camping spot we were looking for until about 10 pm since Brian had a softball game that night. We got to our spot, but it was taken! EVERYONE in Utah County was camping! There were no open spots. None. Darn! I was so excited! Well, we started to drive home, much to my dismay, but then we saw an open spot on the side of the road. Yes! We got out of the car to see if the spot was camp-able, and Brian heard "something big" in the bushes next to us. It sounded like a deer to me, but he kept saying "whatever it is, it's big" and then he ran back to the car. Come on, be a man! Well, he started throwing rocks in the bushes and all the noises stopped so we started down this little trail to find a spot, but we got "nervous" and jumpy by every cracking twig beneath our feet. I finally got freaked out enough that I turned around and told Brian we were going home. It was already past 11 and I was tired. As I was doing up my seatbelt, Brian thought it would be hilarious to scream at the NOTHING that was outside just to freak me out some more. Well, he screamed, and I looked up in terror, just knowing that we were about to be eaten by bears that I heard about on the news. When I looked up, I screamed, then I saw that nothing was there, so I buried my head in my hands and started to sob. Yup, that's right. I sobbed. It was as if my heightened emotions had no wear else to go but through my eyes. Brian just started laughing at my crying until I eventually started laughing at myself. We ended up going home and playing ticket to ride instead. Much more safe! :) Just don't watch the news if you're going camping. You'll have a much more enjoyable time that way!

3 comments:

Makenna said...

Brian is a punk! and you are cute :) I'd be freaked out too, and I think Ian would be even more freaked out than both of us put together! good thing we have these surefire flashlights that kills (stuns) bears. I'd get one of those for next time you go camping. :)

Janaca said...

That sounds like quite the experience! That would've scared me too I'm sure. Hoefully you can go camping for real sometime soon!

Meredith said...

Stacy! I cannot describe how utterly thrilled I am that you found my blog! Woo hoo!

So how the heck are you!? From looking at your blog, looks like your pretty darn good!

I have two words for you: Sperm Dance.