Picture

Picture

Monday, July 16, 2012

Lake Powell


We went to Lake Powell and it was a blast! We haven't been in years and I forgot how beautiful it is. I don't particularly love Red Rock all by itself (I could never live in St. George) but I love it when it's by the water. I love the red/blue contrast. It was a different lake vacation than we've had before. Usually we spent all of our time on the beach and camp in tents, but since I had a little 3 month old with me, we needed the RV to keep him cool and for better sleeping. I'll be honest....I love not having to sleep in a 95 degree tent! 

We got there Wednesday afternoon and spent a little time on the beach playing, but we couldn't do much because our boat sounded so funny. 




The next day was spent waiting for the bearing in the boat to get fixed. We thought it would be done by noon at the latest, but we waited until 4:00 and then made other plans. I was kinda sad that one of our precious days on the water was lost, but we made the best of it. 

Brian really wanted to go to Natural Bridges National Park, so we left around 4 thinking we'd be back by 7. He told me not to get gas and to just go. After insisting that we do get gas he assured me that we'd make it just fine. We make the hour long trek from Hall's Crossing to the park and GUESS WHAT?! We were almost out of gas! There was no way that we'd make it around the park and back to Hall's. What did we have to do, you ask? Well, since there is no gas for MILES and MILES, we had to drive another 35 minutes to Blanding, UT. Who in the heck lives down there? Anyway, I was right. We made a "crap bucket list" on our way down there just so we could cross of "going to Blanding" off of the "crap bucket list". 

Back to the park. It was pretty cool! It was the first national park in UT (who knew) and it was way better than I expected. These "arches" or bridges rather, are older than the ones at Arches National Park....and to be honest....a little more awesome. Since we had our kiddos we couldn't hike down to them, but I wouldn't mind going back and giving them a try. I don't think Brian's insides could handle the cliffs though. He's a "little" afraid of heights. He was getting a little squirmy the ENTIRE TIME. "Watch Claire", "Don't go there", "You're driving too close to the edge!", "MOVE OVER". You get the drift.




Looking at a lizard.

Hello Sunspot.




Back to the lake. Here is what our mornings were like. Crazy Claire and sleeping in.



Our real day on the water was my favorite. Both kids fell asleep on our long look around the lake for a decent beach. Those life jackets make pretty good pillows.
Claire had to be in the water almost the entire time. She just loved to float and find "Shhhheee-sells" and throw rocks in the water.


Jared was a champ and slept for hours. Thank goodness for the cool breeze to keep him cool. The first day we had to run to the marina to get him looking less hot.

This was...HILARIOUS! We would catapult each  other out of the water and Trevor was by far the funniest. He didn't bend at all. He was stiff as a board and would land with quite the splash.


Jason....oh...he looked a little ridiculous as well. :)


Brian looked pretty haus doing his flips in his wetsuit. 


Day 4: Rainbow Bridge. Man, it a longer walk than I have ever made to the bridge. You used to be able to dock and walk right up to it. Not anymore. It's quite the walk. Jared only made it part of the way because mommy got nervous about him being in so much sun and heat. We walked back to the shady cove and waited for everyone else.





He sure loved that turtle.

Me wakeboarding

Brian wakeboarding




Brian tubing

Jason tubing. The poor guy had really ROUGH water to bounce through. 

On the ferry leaving Hall's Crossing. Claire fell in love with a cute Maltese these people had with them.


I'm ready for Lake Powell round 2!!!!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

What a blast!!! I haven't been to Lake Powell in years, either.... It's been on our bucket list to do! Such fun pictures, I love the ones of you all throwing each other into the water... hilarious! Glad you had such an awesome vacation!

katelinklug said...

That trip looks so fun, Now I feel like I need to go! You look great, and your kids are adorable!

Kateka said...

Oh my word, so many thoughts! Like, I WANT TO GO TO LAKE POWELL SO BADLY RIGHT NOW. And WHY DON'T MEN EVER LISTEN TO THEIR WIVES (about you guys not getting gas). And HOW IS STACY'S HAIR SO AMAZING LOOKING WHILE AT LAKE POWELL? And WHY AM I USING SO MANY CAPS!!?

Looks like so much fun. I also love Claire's angel picture (I coined it that... she has a glow about her head, in that "morning" picture), and also her mean-mug face (one of the first pictures you posted).